Wednesday, March 21, 2012
The name of this cake really caught my attention when I was hunting for a quick and esay recipe. Castella (カステラ Kasutera) is a popular Japanese sponge cake made of sugar, flour, eggs and starch syrup. You will see many adaptations of this recipe into green tea, chocolate or even cream cheese due to its simple and natural texture for experimentation. Well I haven't try to create my own recipe yet and this is my first attempt using the recipe from AnnCoo. Well, I must say this cake really taste nice and not too filling for a second piece.
4 large eggs
80g castor sugar
60g wild honey
10g cake emulsifier
55g bread flour
90g plain flour
a pinch of salt (optional)
50g butter, melted
1. Sieve the bread and plan flour twice and keep aside.
2. Using a electric hand-mixer, beat the egg, sugar and emulsifier in a medium bowl for about 10 minutes until thick and creamy white.
3. Add in the flour bit by bit alternating with milk and combine well using a whisk or spatula..
4. Lastly add in wild honey and butter in batches and combine until even.
5. Pour the batter into two medium loaf pan and bake in a pre-heated 160 Celsius oven for 40 minutes.6. Cool on wire rack and enjoy.